2023年12月22日 星期五

How Do We Get There from the Station?


1. Excuse me, sir.  How do I get to Sunshine Department Store?

What a second, 日光百貨... that's not a real place, right?  I think you might be confused.  It sounds like you might be looking for 新光三越, which most people refer to (in English) by its Japanese name, Shin Kong Mitsukoshi.  It could be that there actually is a 日光百貨, but I doubt it's in Taiwan.

If you're asking me how to get to a Shin Kong Mitsukoshi in Taiwan, I'll need to know a) where you are, and b) where the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi is.  If you're outside Taiwan I suggest visiting the local airport; if you're already in Taiwan I'll need to know whether the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi is in Taipei, Taichung, Tainan, Hsinchu or some other place.  Some of these cities also have more than one Shin Kong Mitsukoshi, and I doubt that I've been to every Shin Kong Mitsukoshi in Taiwan.

But let's say, for example, that we're both in Hengchun Municipality, Pingtung County at the time of writing, and you want to visit the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi in Kaohsiung's Sanduo Shopping District.  I think this is the closest Shin Kong Mitsukoshi to Hengchun -- I'm not sure.

From the office where I'm typing this we'll need to leave the campus, exiting through the main gate.  From there we'll take a left down the hill and arrive at the bus station, where we'll either buy a ticket or take a number for the Kenting Express.  The Kenting Express will take us to the Zuoying HSR station in Kaohsiung, and from there we'll take the MRT south to Sanduo Shopping District.  In the Sanduo MRT station we'll follow the signs under (and across) Jungshan Road to the exit closest to the Sogo, and after emerging from the station we'll walk east a short distance to the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi.

2. Nick, is there anything wrong?

I'm not Nick, and no, there's nothing wrong.

3. Why don't you call Aunt Susan?

I don't have an aunt Susan that I'm aware of.

4. Nick, where are you?

I'm not Nick.  At the time of writing I happen to be in Hengchun Junior High School in Hengchun Municipality, Pingtung County, Taiwan.

A more interesting question is where I'll be next year.  As of right now I have no idea.  Last week I came to the realization that I'm done teaching English in this particular junior high school, and that next school year I'd rather do something else.

Compounding my uncertainty is the fact that we might be buying an apartment in Gushan District, Kaohsiung City soon.  Does this mean that I'll be living in Kaohsiung next year?  Again, I have no idea.  If Hengchun Elementary School offered me a full-time job next school year I'd think about staying, but their present plan involves sharing me with the junior high.  Would they write another plan to keep me there next year?  I kind of doubt it.

I'll probably talk to some of the elementary school people about this tomorrow.  I have an observation next week and I feel a warning about my future plans is in order.

5. Should we go there by bus or on foot?

Where?  To Shin Kong Mitsukoshi?  There's no train station in this area, so a bus or a car are the fastest ways to get there.

Just for fun I checked Google Maps.  It would take you 21 hours to walk from this location to the Shin Kong Mitsukoshi in Sanduo Shopping District.

6. OK.  But how do we get there from the station?

From the bus station in Zuoying?  I discussed that above.

Alternatively, you could get off the Kenting Express in Fangliao Township, which is about halfway between here and Kaohsiung.  

After getting off the bus you'll see a 7-11.  Take a right there and follow the road down to the Fangliao Train Station.  I highly recommend the Fast Local 區間快 train.

You can transfer to the MRT at Kaohsiung Main Station.  Just follow the signs.

7. What should we do now?

If I wasn't at work today I'd be on my way to Kaohsiung.  My wife has to take the afternoon off to go talk to real estate people there, and I dislike the fact that I can't go with her.  Unfortunately I have an afternoon full of classes today, and I want to save all my days off for summer vacation.  Hopefully everything goes OK up there.

8. Why did Bella tell Nick to take a taxi?

Maybe the two of them were having an affair and Nick couldn't drive his own car.  Maybe Nick was too drunk to drive.  Maybe Nick was in a hurry and other forms of transportation were too slow and/or less convenient.  Maybe the two of them were playing Mario Kart 8 and the taxi was the best option.

I always play Yoshi, by the way.  You don't want to challenge me when I'm Yoshi... I will rain turtle shells down upon you.

9. Where is the bus stop?

The location of the bus station is described above.  I'm not aware of any bus stops that aren't on the main road through town, so that's probably the closest bus stop.

10. Where is the post office?

If you're standing in front of the bus station you'll see a 7-11 across the intersection to your right.  To the left of the 7-11 there's a big plaza.  To the left of that is the post office.

11. Where is the bookstore?

There is no bookstore in Hengchun that I'm aware of.  The closest bookstore I can think of is in Chaozhou Municipality, about an hour north of here.  That bookstore doesn't have many English books, however.  If you're looking for English books you'll have to go to the FE21 in Kaohsiung.  There's an Eslite Bookstore on the top floor.

12. Where is the hotel?

The closest hotel I can think of is on Highway 26, a little north of the McDonald's.  There are, however, many homestays much closer to Hengchun Junior High School.  Several of them are within walking distance.

13. Where is the park?

The national park or a smaller, local park?  The national park is all around us.  If you move away from Highway 26 in any direction you'll arrive at some part of Kenting National Park eventually.  

If you're visiting Kenting National Park for the first time I recommend starting at the aquarium in Checheng and working your way south down the coastal road through Wanlitong, Baisha, Houbihu, Nanwan, Kenting and other places.  When you get to Jialeshui you can decide if you want to continue north into Manzhou or just spend the rest of the day at a local beach.

The biggest local park is the Stone Tablet Park within the old city fortifications.  It's very close to the West Gate.  It can be a nice place to walk around at night, though I sometimes avoid it because that's where a lot of my students hang out.

14. How do I get to the park?

For a really comprehensive visit to Kenting National Park you'll need a car or a scooter.  There's a scooter rental place next to the plaza mentioned above.

It's a short walk between the bus station and the Stone Tablet Park.  Just walk to the other side of the plaza and you'll be at the Hengchun Old Street.  Take a right there and walk down to the West Gate.  The park is behind the Lords of the Three Mountains Temple.

15. How do I get to the church?

The only church I know of is next to the old city wall, not far from where they hold the Hengchun Night Market on Sundays.  From the plaza cross the Hengchun Old Street and follow one of those alleys down to the city wall.  It's a big building that'll be on your right or left, I can't remember which.

16. How do I get to the school?

Hengchun Junior High School is near the bus station.  There's a little road between the bus station and a teppanyaki restaurant.  Follow that road up a little way and you'll be here.

17. How do I get to the bookstore?

Again, there's no bookstore.  To get to Chaozhou you'll need to take the Kenting Express to Fangliao, and from there take the train to Chaozhou.  The bookstore is within walking distance of Chaozhou Train Station.  Walk down the road perpendicular to the main station entrance, and when you come to a little triangular park follow a diagonal road to your left.  The bookstore will be on your left.

18. How do you go to school?

I usually ride a bike.  From the house we're renting in Ssegou Village it's a three kilometer ride to my school.  On days when I have to carry something heavy I ride a scooter, and very occasionally I'll drive a car.

19. How does Mr. White go to work?

Is this some kind of racial question?  Or are you asking me about the character from Breaking Bad?  If it's a racial question I think it's best ignored; if it's about Breaking Bad I have to apologize and say my memory of that show is spotty.  Did Walter have a job at some point?  I can't remember!

20. How long does it take to go from Great Hotel to Tainan Station on foot?

There may well be a Great Hotel in Tainan.  There are a lot of strange hotels in that city.  If you're walking in that area be careful.  It's not the most pedestrian friendly environment.

And what about you?  How do you get to Sunshine Department Store?  Why don't you call Aunt Susan?  Where are you?  How do you go to work?

Related Entries:

沒有留言:

張貼留言