It was a big deal, it was all over the news, so here are the results of the last election:
I. The Presidential Election
1. 蔡英文 Tsai Ing-wen retains her seat as President of Taiwan. She received over 8 million votes, or 57.1% of the total. Why did she win? Concerns over Mainland Chinese encroachment on Taiwan's sovereignty, and doubts about Han Kuo-yu's leadership ability were major factors.
2. 韓國瑜 Han Kuo-yu lost the election, but did manage to win several counties. One of these counties was Taitung. He received over 5 million votes, or 38.6% of the total.
3. 宋楚瑜 James Soong was a distant third. He received over 600,000 votes, or 4.3% of the total.
II. Local Legislators (113 seats total)
I should have stated this in the last entry, but there are 113 seats in the Legislative Yuan. Of these 113 seats, 73 are Local Legislators representing their voting districts, 6 are Aboriginal Legislators representing tribal interests, and 34 are "Floating" Legislators representing their respective parties.
IIa. Local Legislators (73 seats total)
1. 劉櫂豪 Liou Jhao-hao (DPP) won his seat back. If you were wondering why it was SO quiet last night it was because the KMT candidates owned most of the fireworks.
IIb. Aboriginal Legislators (6 seats total)
1. I didn't mention these candidates by name in the last entry because there were a lot of them. 鄭天財 Sra Kacaw (KMT), 陳瑩 (DPP) and 廖國棟 Sufin Siluko (KMT) won seats as "Flatland" Aboriginal Legislators, and 伍麗華 Saidhai Tahovecahe (DPP), 孔文吉 Kong Wen Ji (KMT) and 高金素梅 Gao Jin Su Mei (unaffiliated) won seats as a Mountain Aboriginal Legislators.
IIc. "Floating" Legislators (34 seats total)
The DPP and KMT each won 13 seats, the People First Party won 5 seats and The New Power Party won 3 seats.
Next Saturday's Election