There are 29 townships, 3 municipalities and one city in Pingtung County. It's exhausting to include news from every township, municipality and Pingtung City every time, so what I'll do instead is include news items from eleven different townships or municipalities in each entry. This way I should be able to work my way through Pingtung County every three entries. 屏東縣包含了29個鄉, 3個鎮還有屏東市. 每次討論所有鄉鎮的新聞太累了, 所以我會每次討論11個鄉鎮的報告. 這樣子我每三篇新聞文章就會涵蓋到全縣內鄉鎮的新聞.
Oh, and I live in south Pingtung. Perhaps I'll have more to say about these news items? 我住在屏東的南部. 有可能我對這些新聞報告比較關心這些新聞.
1. Linbian Township 林邊鄉
1a. A recent typhoon brought a lot of rain to both Linbian and Jiadong Townships. Military personnel were called in to assist with disaster relief efforts, and business at Linbian's night market suffered as a result of the inclement weather. 閃電襲南台灣! 林邊 , 佳冬夜晚雨勢增強優閃電挾大量雨勢 八軍團八十兵力待命戒備林邊廟口夜市不見人潮 攤販業績恐少三成 (1)
1b. The "Commander of the 4th Combat Area" recently visited Linbian, Jiadong and Hengchun to inspect the readiness of locally stationed troops in terms of disaster relief. 第4作戰區指揮官慰勉預置兵力部隊官兵 (2)
1c. An unlicensed driver struck and critically injured a man driving construction (or farming?) equipment on a local road. Both the unlicensed driver and a man who rented him the vehicle he was driving were ordered by a judge to pay a hefty fine. 無照開車釀死亡車禍 租車和開車的判連帶賠償435萬 (3)
2. Jiadong Township 佳冬鄉
2a. Yanwen Village in Jiadong is prone to flooding, so people there started their water pumps in advance of the approaching typhoon. 嚴防颱風雨勢 佳冬鄉燄溫村抽水機先啟動牆上紀錄淹水高度 燄溫村遇颱風損失慘重 今年首陸颱風 村民戒備提前做防颱準備
2b. Here are some (small) pictures of a historic site in Jiadong. If you're in the area you could stop by and visit some of the old Hakka buildings there, but if you're not already in the area I wouldn't bother. 屏東佳冬六根詩人步道的古蹟
2c. Is there a better way to say "ban tiao" in English? Whatever it is, "ban tiao," a type of noodle dish popular among Hakka people, is made a little bit differently at one of Jiadong's many "ban tiao" restaurants. 屏東佳冬粄條 "海味" 與眾不同 六堆地區中唯一口味
3. Fangliao Township 枋寮鄉
3a. For whatever it's worth, Fangliao was recently recognized as a "classic town" by the Ministry of Transportation. Fangliao Train Station was also upgraded from a third tier to a second tier station, meaning that more trains will be stopping there. 獲選經典小鎮又車站升等 屏東枋寮鄉雙喜臨門 (4)
3b. This is interesting. A company installing solar panels in a remote area discovered an old fortification erected during the Japanese Imperial Administration. Some want to preserve it, while others claim that it's too large for such preservation. 枋寮鄉日治軍事遺跡石頭營保存爭議 各方看法不同 (5)
3c. Has Fangliao's F3 Arts Village project been abandoned? The local township office says no, and that work on restoring/renovating this area will begin again next year. 枋寮藝術村成廢墟 ? 公所 : 預計今年底重啟 (6)
4. Chun Rh Township 春日鄉
4a. Since that old Japanese fortification is right on the border between Fangliao and Chun Rh townships, here's another article about the preservation of that site. This article has better pictures. 逃過戰火卻死於怪手 ? 屏東石頭營遭破壞 看菲律賓如何保存軍事遺跡
4b. A coffee bean picking activity was recently held in Chun Rh. 185縣道咖啡那麼的香 -- 探索出熱的咖啡原鄉採豆體驗活動 (7)
4c. The Pingtung County Government recently celebrated the diamond anniversaries of several local married couples. One of these couples live in Chun Rh Township. 重陽敬老讚欑鑽石婚表揚
5. Fangshan Township 枋山鄉
5a. You know that 7-11 with the "dolphin arch?" A lot of garbage piles up on the beach near there. A beach clean-up activity was recently held in the area. 台1線屏東枋山海岸熱點 淨灘清出552公斤垃圾 (8)
5b. During the above-mentioned typhoon, all of the schools and government offices from Fangshan south closed for the day. 閃電颱風來襲 屏東縣府宣布恆春等六個鄉鎮停班停課
5c. Two "online friends," one from Hualien and another from Fangshan, made an appointment to meet in Fangshan. After failing to find their online friend, the other friend called 911. After a search, the other person was discovered in a state of "mental distress." This person was later taken to the hospital. 與網友相約枋山沙灘見面 不見人影獨見衣物 ... 海巡警消找到人 (9)
6. Shrdze Township獅子鄉
6a. A resident of Shrdze died unexpectedly at the age of 23. The family of the deceased is very poor, and was unable to afford a funeral. Local police donated money to help the family with the burial. 獅子鄉青年23歲驟逝 方警結合民間善心人士大愛助處理後事
6b. Private companies are investing heavily in the development of solar power in south Taiwan, and Shrdze Township is one of the many areas where they're trying to install solar panels. In the case of Shrdze Township, the planned development encroaches upon protected land. 8年砸2.4億要在保育區種綠電 南台灣土地重劃大王每年收租賺2000萬 (10)
6c. This article introduces some local attractions, one of which, Shuangliu Forest Recreation Area, is in Shrdze Township. 台灣4大溫泉之一在屏東 ! 探索浪漫溫泉公園 , 日本皇室欽點的美人湯 (11)
7. Checheng Township 車城鄉
7a. A man was robbing temples in the Checheng area. He has since been apprehended by police. 屏東香油錢大盜車城落網 誇張破壞行徑全被拍下 (12)
7b. The new dormitory at Checheng Elementary School was opened recently, and the Pingtung County Magistrate, a graduate of the school, was on hand for the opening. 屏東車城國小新校舍啟用 縣長潘孟安回母校備感溫馨 (13)
7c. Down in Checheng and Hengchun townships, where the typhoon was a lot stronger, over 10,000 homes went without power. 颱風砍倒鷹架砸車 恆春 , 車城萬戶停電
8. Mudan Township 牡丹鄉
8a. Anthropology at work? A group of totem poles were installed around Mudan Reservoir long ago. These totem poles, carved by a local artist and rendered in the traditional Paiwan style, depict ancestor spirits with exposed genitals. Local residents, viewing these totem poles as "indecent," covered the genitals with skirts. An argument centering around these skirts has involved the Mudan Township Office and various other groups. 為祖靈圖騰穿裙 屏東牡丹鄉舌戰 (14)
8b. Here's an article introducing Syuhai Hot Spring. It doesn't get much more remote than that place. 屏東旭海溫泉山巒環抱 浪漫燈海夜景夢幻 (15)
8c. On the eve of Chong Yang Festival, a meal was cooked for residents of Mudan Township over the age of 75. The cooking was supervised by a chef from Mudan Bay Villa Resort. "職場人語" 暖心煮義 牡丹灣Villa行政主廚李建德
9. Manjhou Township 滿洲鄉
9a. A man piloting a boat from Shing Hai Port in Manjhou went missing at the end of last month. His boat was later found drifting off the coast near Dawu, in Taitung. 協尋 ! 屏東滿州興海港漁民 出海失蹤一天僅留船
9b. An expert on parent-child education recently visited Manjhou Elementary School to talk about character building education. 親子專家奔波4百公里 促滿州親子教育功能最大化 (16)
9c. Here's an article on some "undiscovered" tourist spots in Pingtung. Among these tourist spots is the place with the sand dunes (Gang Dzai Village) in Manjhou. "2020屏東景點推薦" 屏東才不只墾丁好玩 ! 公開12處絕美私房景點 , 讓外地人超羨慕啊
10. Hengchun Municipality 恆春鎮
10a. Plans for a scenic railway in Hengchun were recently stalled by the national government, which thinks the potential economic and other benefits of such a railway don't justify the money, time and trouble required to build it. I think the Executive Yuan is right on this one, but many residents of Hengchun are outraged over the decision. Some are even demanding that the government start building an expressway to alleviate traffic in the area. 恆春觀光鐵道變幻影 屏東鄉親爭屏南快速道路 (17)
10b. The Shipai (Stone Tablet) Park was renovated four years ago, but fell into disuse soon after. The Hengchun Municipality Office has plans to make it available to the local indigent population. 石牌公園 "展館" 閒置多時疑遭破窗占據 恆春鎮公所計畫轉型公益用
10c. A man fell into the sea and disappeared. Emergency personnel were unable to find him. 恆春男子落海失蹤未尋獲 搜救人員持續搜尋
11. Liuqiu Township 琉球鄉
11a. Xiaoliuqiu is trying to reduce carbon emissions by subsidizing a switch from gasoline-powered scooters to electric-powered scooters. Scooter rentals are a big source of income for many residents on the island. 小琉球推低碳旅遊成效欠佳 上萬部燃油機車滿街跑 (18)
11b. Vase Rock on Xiaoliuqiu is an extremely popular place to take pictures. Recently a tourist attempting to take pictures of it fell in between the "wave-breaking structures" next to the stairs and hit his head. 尷尬 ! 男遊客小琉球自拍美照 踩空跌落堤防 (19)
11c. The Sha Ma Ji Campground, once a popular spot for weddings, was recently shut down. Many people voiced regret over the closure. 曾辦 "海島集團婚禮" 帶動觀光 小琉球露營區停擺讓人嘆惜
Related Entries 相關的文章:
1. Of course I was glad no lives were lost, but in terms of getting a day off that typhoon was a real letdown. It rained a little, there was a slight wind, but that was it.
2. Speaking of locally stationed military personnel, they've been staging a lot of exercises in the area. I wonder if it has anything to do with the recent purchase of weaponry from the States.
3. Bet you anything he was passing another car at speed on a two-lane road. That kind of accident happens a lot around here.
4. There's been a lot of roadwork in the area too. I could see Fangliao growing more after all of the various infrastructure projects are completed.
5. I love the idea that this huge thing was just sitting there for decades, not far from a highway. Nobody really noticed it until recently.
6. Some new restaurants have opened in that area too. At least three of them are not to be found on Google Maps.
7. A lot of farmers in the "mountain townships" seem to be banking on coffee beans. I doubt it will prove as lucrative as they think it will.
8. I f**king hate that 7-11. Not exactly sure why.
9. This seems to happen often. Two people that only "know" each other online decide to meet at some remote location and then something tragic happens. In Taitung such meetings are often the prelude to a drowning.
10. The County's solar power plan isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have the feeling that several private companies are using it to squeeze a lot of money out of the area.
11. Shuangliu is a nice walk. If you're going up to the top try to get there early. Otherwise the fog will obscure the view.
12. From the article it sounds like this guy was either crazy or had some big brass balls.
13. I was THIS close to living in that dormitory. Had I not taken a position further north, I would be typing this at Checheng Elementary School.
14. Keep in mind that just about all of those Paiwan residents are Christians now. Their relationship with their ancestral spirits is complicated.
15. If you're thinking about going there, be warned that it's TINY. Beautiful drive though.
16. I dunno. Sometimes this kind of "talk" gets religious. Every time people talk about "character building" in an educational context I get skeptical.
17. Question is, where would they put such an expressway? There are dozens of private homes, businesses, villages and protected areas between Fenggang and Hengchun. I really can't figure out where they would build such a thing.
18. Xiaoliuqiu is about 12 KM around. I know this because I walked around it last week. There's really no need to rent a scooter there. In the absence of electric-powered scooters, bicycles would suffice.
19. By "wave-breaking structures" I mean those cement things placed along coastlines that look like jumping jacks. In most case the correct name for them is "tetrapods," but I can't remember if the "wave-breaking structures" on Xiaoliuqiu have five "feet" or not.