|Queen of Heaven Temple 天后宮|
A. Follow Up on Last Month's News 接續上個月的新聞
1. Went to the Queen of Heaven Temple, and saw the "stone relic" that the articles were talking about. If you're interested, it's the big temple on Jung Hua Road, not far from where they hold the Ss Wei Road night market. The relic is in a small room, to the left of the main entrance. 我去了天后宮, 看到新聞報導中的 "古物." 你如果有興趣的話, 天后宮就在中華路上, 靠近四維夜市, 古物就在大門左邊的小房間裡.
2. No typhoons recently, though there have been some close calls. Because of recent flooding, the aquifer beneath our school has risen close to the surface, and as a result our school basement is flooding. How this problem will be resolved is anyone's guess. 最近沒有颱風, 只是有些在台灣附近形成. 因為水災的問題, 我們學校的地下水位變高接近地表. 所以我們學校的地下室都淹水. 我們還不知道怎麼處理這個問題.
B. Recent News 最近的新聞
1. In the wake of recent typhoons, Taitung's Forest Management Bureau is replanting trees. According to the article, 47 organizations have already applied for 110,000 seedlings. Those interested in assisting with the replanting effort should call 089-345495. 颱風過後, 台東林管處要把樹種回來. 報告說已經有四十七個機關團體申請十一萬株苗木. 要幫忙種樹的民眾要打089-345495.
2. The Taitung County Government is promoting activities in agricultural recreation areas. Those interested are encouraged to sign up on Taitung's Online Farmer's Market (eFarmer), and then write about the agricultural recreation area they'd most like to visit. Those participating will have a chance to win a gift certificate worth 100 NT. 台東縣政府正在推廣休閒農業區. 民眾只要加入台東網路農場粉絲團，留言寫下最想去的休閒農業區，就有機會獲得超商100元禮券。
3. Former Olympic athlete Huang Ting-jun won first place in the "Free Ride Highway National Championships" in Taitung. The winner of the men's competition biked 40 km in 52 minutes, 39 seconds. 全國自由車公路錦標賽今天在台東登場. 參加過里約奧運的黃亭茵順利封后. 男子組冠軍以52分39秒完成40公里賽程.
4. The Bureau of Forest Affairs, The Taitung Forest Management Office, and a criminal investigation team seized a horde of mushrooms near Hong Ye. These mushrooms were stolen from local farmers. Police caught five suspects, and yes, the mushrooms in question were worth a lot of money. 林務局台東林管處會同保七總隊第九大隊刑事偵查小隊，在紅葉山區查獲歷年來最大宗牛樟菇盜採案, 他們逮捕了五名嫌犯. 這五名竊賊偷當地農夫的牛樟菇主要是因為牛樟菇的市場價值很高.
5. The Taitung County Government is cooperating with the Department of Transportation to issue a "Fun Card" (Day Pass) to promote tourism. It can be used to visit the Taiwan Open of Surfing, to visit hot springs, and for other things. 台東縣政府配合交通部觀光局輔導發行台灣好玩卡. 可以用這個卡參加衝浪比賽和泡溫泉, 除此之外, 它還有很多其他的功能.
6. 4,600 households had their water turned off last week. The "no water" period began at 10 a.m. on November 2, and lasted about a day. Water was turned off to repair wind-related damage to the Da Nan water district. 台東市部分地區上禮拜三上午十時起停水一天左右, 估計有四千五百戶無水可用. 停水的主因是大南圳因風災受損.
7. The County Department of Hygiene and a group from Mackay Hospital visited the Taitung County Council, where they provided council members with flu shots. Given the distances they travel, their contact with the public, their age, and the corresponding weakness of their immune systems, they are viewed as a "high risk group" for catching the flu. 縣衛生局與馬偕台東醫院團隊到議會幫議員施打流感疫苗. 衛生局表示, 議員四處奔波, 屬高危險群, 也呼籲五十歲以上, 慢性病患或免疫力較低者施打疫苗.
8. A third year student from Taitung Vocational College's Interior Design program won a gold medal in a carpentry competition. 台東專科學校高職部室內空間設計科三年級女學生突破聽力障礙, 潛心學習木工有成, 在今年全國身心障礙者技能競賽中奪得家具木工職類金牌.
9. There is no easy solution to the flooding problem in Taitung. The Taitung County Council recently convened a meeting to discuss the reasons for recent flooding, disaster relief, and reconstruction. 解決臺東的淹水問題很難. 縣議會定期大會今天進行縣府建設處等5單位工作檢討，有關多次水患成災的原因，救災及復建均受議員關切。
10. It is possible that the Matsu "Rao Jing" Festival, which takes place at the same time as Lantern Festival, will not be held in Taitung next year. Due to the danger inherent in such festivals, the government is pushing for these festivals to be covered by insurance. As the cost is too much for many temples and related associations, they are instead opting to discontinue the festivals. There is a feeling that this type of local festival is "under attack." 台東市天后宮可能不續辦媽祖遶境活動. 政府強制規定大型活動需投保公共意外責任險。因保費高、保險公司不願承保，讓一些地方知名民俗活動都受到衝擊。
11. The Directors-General for several local agricultural associations started work last Monday. Competition for open Director-General positions in Chr Shang, Guanshan, and Tai Ma Li, where previous Directors-General have retired, is intense. 台東縣各級農會總幹事候聘登記作業上個禮拜一起跑. 池上、關山及太麻里三個農會總幹事因已退休或即將退休將換新人新政，競爭相對激烈.
12. More drama over the garbage incinerator. Garbage is problem for Orchid Island, and people there want the Taitung County Government to do something about it. The head of the EPA wants to use the garbage incinerator to incinerate the garbage, but the County Government faces pressure from Taitung City residents who don't want this incinerator used. 他們還在吵焚化爐的事. 蘭嶼沒辦法當地處理垃圾, 叫縣政府幫忙. 環保署長想啟用臺東的焚化爐燒垃圾, 可是很多住民不要開焚化爐.
13. There was a 5.0 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Taitung last Tuesday. 上個禮拜二台東近海發生規模5.0地震.
14. An "Integrated Physical Training Center" opened in Duo Liang recently. A big reason for this was the difficulty people there were having in driving north to locations in Taitung City. On the first floor there is a self-defense (Judo) studio, and on the second floor there is an indoor gun range. "多良綜合體技館," 最近落成啟用. 他們蓋體技館最大的原因就在於基層常訓不再南北奔波. 一樓為柔道場, 二樓為室內手槍靶場.
15. More arguing over Taitung's garbage disposal problems. Taitung County Council members protested a plan to accept recycled aggregates in exchange for the continued shipping of garbage to Kaohsiung. The head of Taiwan's EPA, Shie Ching-chuan, exclaimed, "I am not a god! I can't make the garbage disappear!" 台東垃圾處理問題存在更多的爭議. 台東縣議員群起反對運垃圾到高雄換回再生粒料. 環保局長謝清泉說: "我非神仙, 沒辦法把垃圾變不見!"*
C. Stuff I Overheard 我聽說的消息
1. "Subway Bob" is back in town. He told me that he's here to stay. Welcome back, Subway Bob! "Subway Bob" 回來台東. 他跟我說他以後都住這邊. 歡迎回來Subway Bob!
2. The Queena Plaza (Sheraton) Hotel is building an extension behind their present location. I haven't been able to verify this through the usual news sources, but two different people mentioned it to me during the past week. 桂田飯店要在飯店後面蓋第二館. 這件事不是從新聞上知道的, 而是上個禮拜有兩個人分別告訴我的.
D. And the BIG News is... 最恐怖的新聞就是...
Donald Trump was elected President of the United States. Just take a moment to process this. It's ok, it's ok.... no hurry. Needless to say, he probably won't be a good friend to Taiwan, given the kind of racial and/or isolationist statements he's made in the past. 川普被選上美國總統. 我給你一點時間接受這件事情. 沒關係... 繼續考慮... 不用那麼急. 不用說, 他大概不會當臺灣最好的朋友. 聽他談論種族還是國際貿易的論點就知道.
Related Entries 相關的文章:
台灣民俗由來 The Origin of Taiwanese Customs (1 of 4)
* You might be wondering about that picture. This is the big empty area near the ocean, east of Jer Ben. The "recycled aggregates" mentioned in the article might be used to fill in land and create a resort in this area. The term "Recycled aggregates" most commonly refers to waste from construction sites. It can be used to reinforce coastlines and to create artificial islands.